What it looks like when this need is NOT being met:
- Laughter or smiles are infrequent
- Mood may be subdued or melancholy
- Peers do not engage much or well with one another
- Difficulty handling uncertainty, fear of “messing up” or doing something unfamiliar
- Trouble solving problems or solutions lack creativity
Ways to help meet this need:
- Low-stakes games that allow students to play and learn together
- Learning opportunities that are not tied to grades but instead work to build community and creative problem-solving
- Hands-on activities that allow for multiple outcomes.
- Intentional experiences with humor (i.e. entertaining stories, videos, opportunities for sharing jokes)
- Experiences outside the classroom such as campus walks, field trips, speaker visits, community projects etc. that provide a unique context for learning
See below for additional resources and downloads for understanding this Learner Need!