STEM Outside the Traditional Classroom
This 2-day course is built for informal educators who are interested in improving their instructional practice in STEM, and in building strong STEM programs that work in concert with the PK-12 school system.
During the two days, we will:
- Align informal education program goals with formal education system goals to ensure that informal programs can build on and extend what students are learning in school
- Build engaging, student-centered, hands-on STEM lessons that promote critical thinking and content-knowledge development.
- Practice facilitation skills that are essential for leading student-centered STEM lessons in a productive and safe way.
- Take a critical look at different models for informal STEM programs with the goal of designing new programs or improving existing ones
- Take a deep dive into the Next General Science Standards (NGSS) as a way to connect with the formal school system, and as a framework for designing meaningful STEM programming