Meet the hardworking, fun-loving team that is making Inspired Teaching a reality.
Teaching and Learning Coordinator
LaTonia Smith Cokely
Kaneia Mayo Crumlin
Speak Truth Coach
Director of Teaching and Learning
Director of Youth Programming
Founder and President
Program Grant Manager
Board of Directors
Maria Laura Acebal, J.D., Director
Ashoka’s Youth Venture, North American Group Leadership Member
Jeffrey Franco, Director
CEO, Camino Consulting and Adjunct Professor, American University
Karol Kepchar, Pro bono counsel, Advisor to the board, Non-voting
Aleta Margolis, Director
Founder and President
John Nolan, Director, Board Chair
Chair; CFO & CCO, Options Solutions, LLC
Elly Young, Director
Teacher Leadership Specialist, Montgomery County Public Schools
After graduating college, Aleta taught high school students in the juvenile justice system. Her students had few chances to talk about the problems that plagued their city: the crack cocaine epidemic, gun violence, and gang violence. In her classroom, her court-involved students examined the system that disadvantaged them, and together they wrote, produced, and performed a powerful play that offered concrete solutions to the issues they faced.
Aleta knew the same systematic educational inequities that disadvantaged her own students, affected students nationwide. She saw first-hand that teachers have the power to construct classrooms systems in which each student is an expert and has a voice. Aleta wanted to make this a reality for every child’s school experience in the entire education system. As a teacher, Aleta recognized that teachers are the key to ensuring schools actively and authentically engage young people so they are able to thrive. This prompted her to shift her own focus from teaching students to teaching teachers.
“As a classroom teacher myself I saw the amazing changes that happened when students were asked to think for themselves instead of sitting passively while their teacher ‘delivered’ instruction. I knew teachers were the key to building a better school experience for students. So I started Center for Inspired Teaching to invest in teachers and help them re-think the way they do their jobs.” – Aleta Margolis
Inspired Teaching offers you a chance to make a difference and grow professionally. We seek talented, dynamic, and highly-skilled individuals who share our belief that every student, regardless of race, geography, or income level, can thrive in an engagement-based classroom with an Inspired Teacher.
We are educators, athletes, parents, bookworms, and storytellers. From DC natives to global travelers, our staff is a group of ambitious professionals passionate about improving the school experience for every student. Apply today to be part of our entrepreneurial and impact-driven team.
Part-Time, Independent Contractor Position
(50-60 hours per month)
Center for Inspired Teaching is looking for a dynamic, creative individual to help us bring our exceptional resources and professional learning opportunities to more teachers nationwide. For 26 years we have helped educators remodel their teaching approach to increase student engagement. In a rapidly evolving world, schools need to find ways to ensure the learning in their classrooms keeps pace with societal changes – and that means cultivating critical thinking and tremendous imagination in students. This is what Inspired Teaching teaches teachers and school leaders to do.
We have a full year of scheduled programming for teachers, weekly online publications and a quarterly newsletter, a robust Twitter following (30K), and a loyal community of hundreds of teachers who have participated in our Institutes over the years. We seek a Communications and Marketing Specialist to help us reach exponentially more educators and parents, and get our resources in front of a national audience. For a long time, our organization thrived on word-of-mouth promotion, and it still does, but we are ready to take our work further and seek a colleague with expertise in spreading good ideas.
Inspired Teaching is almost exclusively grant-funded. Therefore the Communications and Marketing Specialist will be focused much more on reach than on sales. This person will take the lead in helping us achieve the following goals:
- Raise the profile of Inspired Teaching so it becomes a recognized national thought-leader in the education space.
- Recruit participants for Inspired Teaching programs so more teachers are actively remodeling their practice to increase student engagement.
Does this sound like you? You should apply!
You are a self-confident, flexible, driven communications and marketing professional who understands schools, teachers, and students and brings positive energy to your work. You’re impact-driven, organized, and recognize that relationships are at the heart of any substantive progress. Therefore you are highly responsive to your colleagues and the various schools, organizations, media outlets, and institutions with which you will engage. You believe that every student, regardless of race, geography, or income level, can thrive in an engagement-based classroom with an Inspired Teacher. You are excited about working for an organization that strives to help all teachers to grow into that role.
- Collaborate with senior Inspired Teaching staff to create yearlong communication and marketing plan that is designed to accomplish the organizational goals outlined above. That plan will include:
- Strategic use of social media platforms, including a plan for paid advertising (this work will be implemented and informed by our Social Media Manager)
- Placement of Inspired Teaching content in both paid and solicited media outlets
- Cultivation of relationships with education thought leaders to enlist them as ambassadors for Inspired Teaching content
- Seeking out and executing speaking and writing opportunities that raise our President’s profile in advance of the publication of her book
- Execute the communications and marketing plan in collaboration with other Inspired Teaching staff.
- Research current trends in education nonprofit marketing and communications to stay on top of the best means of outreach and impact.
- Provide monthly impact reports to staff and more frequent reporting as necessary to the Grants Manager where applicable.
- Bachelors or higher degree in communications, marketing, or related field
- Experience working in the education field, either in nonprofit organizations or in schools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently but with a high level of responsiveness to requests and inquiries of colleagues
- A strong track record of successful communications and marketing efforts in previous positions
- Experience with digital marketing and program promotion
- Passion for improving education for all students through a focus on support for teachers
- Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience
- The position is entirely remote and supports a flexible schedule
- Colleagues who are experienced, collaborative, and thoughtful
- Frequent opportunities to participate in professional development
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and references to Christine Sheridan at email@example.com.
Center for Inspired Teaching is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Persons of color and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.